Health and information – Stress often strikes anyone. Have you ever experienced irritability, anxiety, frustration, loneliness, difficulty calm your mind, frequent negative thoughts, or started to become addicted to alcohol? If so, it could be that you are experiencing stress and you must immediately control this condition.
Stress is a normal thing that everyone has experienced. Normal stress can have a positive impact, for example, helping you work faster when you are catching a deadline. But be careful, stressful conditions can have a negative impact if they occur frequently and are sustained.
Effects of Stress on Health
Prolonged stress can trigger you to develop a disease. Excessive stress does not only affect mental health, but also body health. Maybe you are wondering, “Why can stress cause illness?”. The answer is that stress is not just a feeling. Stressful conditions will cause several reactions, such as increased blood pressure, narrowed blood vessels, and you will breathe faster.
This is because the body releases the hormones cortisol and adrenaline which make the heart work faster. This hormone is also capable of wasting energy so that you feel tired easily.
A person’s immune system who is under stress also tends to decline, making it difficult for the body to fight disease. As a result, you will be susceptible to disease.
When you are suffering from an illness, stress may make your situation worse. The following are some of the conditions that can strike you if you are under prolonged stress:
- High blood pressure
- Sleep disturbance
- Premature aging
- Easy to get infected
- Sexual dysfunction
- Heart disease
- Heart disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
Here’s an Easy Way to Control Stress
The first step in dealing with stress is to know what causes the stress, in this case you will know it yourself. Next, write down what your stress triggers are so you can anticipate what steps you need to take to prevent or combat that stress.
The next step is to do things that can provide relaxation for your body and mind, namely:
- Bring out all the grin. Try to get out all the pent up feelings, so that your mind will not be uneasy
- Get some exercise. Besides making the body healthy, exercise can also relieve stress
- Do meditation. Meditation can help you calm your mind
- Do what you love. Think about what activities do you like? Whether shopping, walking at the mall, karaoke, watching movies, gardening, cooking, or going to the playground
- Live life in the present. Forget the past and shy away from negative expectations about the future, live in the present
- Take care of yourself. Adequate rest, eat nutritious food, avoid consumption of alcohol and illegal drugs, that is enough to protect yourself.
Everyone has unique and different ways of dealing with stress. Try to deal with stress with the methods above. If you have trouble trying them all at once, choose one or two methods that you feel most comfortable doing.
Do this until it becomes a habit. If your stress level is beyond your control, see a doctor or seek counseling immediately.